Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Gammy!





It's my Gammy Hil's ninetieth birthday this week! Ninety! The fam's coming in from Toronto to surprise her and I was asked to do portraits of all the grandchildren. We have a small family so luckily I only have to do four. Leaving things to the last minute it is now 3am and I have finished three. May or may not stay up and do the rest... probably not. I think the quality of my work deteriorates as my brain get mushy in the wee hours. My serious productivity usually happens between 8pm and 2am. We've passed that threshold. Was that the right word to use?

threshold

noun
1. the starting point for a new state or experience; "on the threshold of manhood"
2. the smallest detectable sensation
3. the entrance (the space in a wall) through which you enter or leave a room or building; the space that a door can close; "he stuck his head in the doorway" [syn: doorway]
4. the sill of a door; a horizontal piece of wood or stone that forms the bottom of a doorway and offers support when passing through a doorway [syn: doorsill]
5. a region marking a boundary [syn: brink]

I can't figure it out right now. And I feel like one of these things is not like the other. Number two anyone? But I think number five means I was right..

Anyways I think they're pretty hilarious. They look very sweet in the flesh but for some reason loose a bit of that in the photographs. Again, I was enjoying the play between charcoal and acrylic.
Sleep is definitely in order now. I'll be posting the fourth tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment