Monday, February 1, 2010

Can't sit still...

(Sidenote: My apologies for the text being wonky in this post - blogger isn't cooperating with me today)

I'm going to visit my bestest buddy Kaja (pronounced Kih -ya) in Calgary over reading week and I'm so excited I can barely sit still!! I'm going for a week and half way through the week my other best buddy Leslie, from Rhode Island, is joining us! It's going to be amazing. This is the three of us at the Winnipeg Folk Festival this year...


Kaja moved to Calgary two years ago after graduating from the U of M with a politics degree to pursue dance and it couldn't be going better for her. She is going to school at a Jazz Company called Decidedly Jazz and is constantly in competitions and performances. She couldn't lead me to a decent quality video of her online so I plan on taking my own while I'm there, but for now - here's a photo of her looking like a maniac and a piece by Decidedly Jazz to give you an idea...


While I'm there she is going to be performing in Dance Explosions - I'm going to try and video her performance and if all goes well it'll be my very first Vimeo :) Kaja has a pretty insane schedule, she dances atleast 5+ hours a day and often takes classes on top of that, does yoga, has rehearsals and a part time job so I will be entertaining myself during the day which I don't mind at all. I'm going to hit up her favourite coffee shop, The Purple Perk, so I can blog, work on my painting paper (My ideas on painting - I can't wait!), and scope the locals.


We do have a list of places we plan on hitting up when she is off for the day - I'm a bit crazy so I've done my research already and she has a handful of places that she's bringing me to - Here's the line up...

The Coup - an all vegetarian, local and organic restaurant - Right up our alley...



Divine - a store I aparently must go see - a combo of vintage and local apparel




Junk Star - same shtick - Old & New!

Todorovic Gallery in Art Central - I've been researching the places to go for art and it seems like we'll be going to Art Central - a slew on artist run gallery and shops like...

Shisomiso... I actually messaged one of my favourite etsy sellers, Peeko Apparel, who is based out of Calgary and asked her advice on places to go - I would highly recommend this to people who are traveling!


She recommended we hit up The Market Collective which is happening on Feb.13 & 14 - Here's a fun video I found on their site!

Kaja is making Vday reservations for us somewhere shmancy for a romantic dinner so I'm pretty excited to see where that takes us! Darrin is heading to Ottowa and Toronto over reading week so we are planning our Vday dinner before we both leave so I'll have two romantic dinners! Lucky me...

What are you looking forward to?

1 comment:

  1. duuuude! your trip is going to be so rad! i'm kind of really jealous! i've never actually been to calgary, but you made me want to go. maybe next time =)

    ReplyDelete