Saturday, October 16, 2010

Pluggity Plug

So lots of things have been happening since New York that I feel I need to share...

First!
I love talking up my friend Alexa's band, Chic Gamine, because they are such wonderful people and the music they make is so beautiful and feel good I want to listen to it every morning as I make my coffee and get ready for the day - and what better chance to gush about them than their 2ND (!!) cd 'City City' just coming out?! They're currently touring Canada and but will be back in Winnipeg in November for their cd release at the West End Cultural Center (I'll obviously be there) - so wherever you live I highly recommend supporting great music and buying their cd/seeing them live if you have the chance! Check em out! (Alexa is the one playing with her hands on the piano)


In other news, S. Arden Hill is the current featured artist at the SOFA Gallery at Edna Fedya (the gallery I curate) and he just had his opening the other night!

Since the gallery started I think it's been the biggest opening so far and the new space for students is really starting to get noticed. Arden creates bright intricate abstract paintings as well as monster type creatures. Arden is also currently showing at Headquarters Galerie & Boutique in Montreal so if you'e in that area go scope him out in 'Creature Features'!

And for November we will have the lovely Helga Jakobson as our feature artist!


Helga is the co-president of student council at the School of Art and is a sculpture major. She'll be showing a series of haunting/serene/delicate silkscreened photographs of herself and deteriorating farm houses (she's a small town girl). Here's a sneakpeek and stay tuned for the opening date!


In student council related news SOFA will be projecting The Rocky Horror Picture Show in the Sculpture Building on campus this coming Friday Oct. 22nd. It's a free event and everyone's expected to dress the part and partake in all the bread throwing and yelling! It's going to be a hilarious time and all are welcome so head down with some friends and get involved!


Darrin has also started a student group called 'Docs' where every two weeks he screens a documentary in University Centre - this week's screening is of FOOD Inc. I've seen this doc before but plan on going to see again because my current paintings deal with food production issues. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend you attend this free screening because it's informative and where your food comes from is an important!


Head down to...
The GSA Lounge
221 University Center
Wednesday Oct.20
2-4pm




No comments:

Post a Comment