Tuesday, May 24, 2011

'Everything Good is Bad'

There has been a serious influx of amazing new music and art this past week that I feel is necessary to share. As it keeps piling up I'm becoming more concerned that I've had blinders on or have been living under a rock! Anyways, it feels good to now be in the know and have some new favourite artists and musicians :)

First! Fastwurms! A crazy Canadian art collective who currently have three large mixed media pieces in the Bestial Encounters show at the WAG. I am so attracted to the colours and symbolism in their work - I just find their work so overwhelming and powerful to look at. Even crazier is that they are practicing witches! I would love to see one of their performances as they stock up on dollarstore goods and in one performance gave participants haircuts with these dollarstore wigs to use the hair in spells. These are apparently good spells - not that I know much on the topic but it sounds fascinating!

Kim Kozzi and Dai Skuse with their cat companions

Stigmata Otter from the series Six-Pitch-Otter-Slide by Fastwurms

Paper, pigment, varnish, copper, birch bark, encaustic, fungi, epoxy resin on plywood

Spotti Fang, photo by Fastwurms

Then there's Nicola Tyson, a New York based artist whose minimal figuartive abstractions focus on the psyche and physical body. I just can't get enough of them. It makes me want to do minimal abstracts!

Nude by Nicola Tyson

Figure Running by Nicola Tyson

Arm in Arm by Nicola Tyson

Self Portrait Laying Egg by Nicola Tyson
And since Kaja has come home she has introduced me to both Sharon Jones and JJ Grey & Mofro.




Hope you all enjoyed those newbies - kind of a mash up!

Also a reminder that the bolo give away ends this Thursday afternoon so if you haven't entered yet there's still time - hope you guys are having a wonderful week

No comments:

Post a Comment