Sunday, November 15, 2009

Double Feature and Minneapolis



Starving Artist Gallery Update!
I just received the poster from Dayna Danger for Nadine Hink and I's Double Feature THIS MONDAY Nov.16! The work will be up for the rest of the month but if you're looking for something to do tomorrow night pop down to the U of M and join us from 8-9pm for some bubbly and appys!

So I just got back from Minneapolis in the wee hours yesterday morning. I was on the first year Fine Arts filed trip that I managed to miss every year until this year. The trip turned out to be a ton of fun and the galleries were amaaaaazing! Between late nights and long bus rides we managed to see The Weisman Art Museum, the Walker Art Center, the Minneapolis Sculpture Gardens and the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. Here's a few of the highlights...




disoriented.....

Roy Lichtenstein

Frank Gehry's FIRST fluid buidling - Weisnman Art Museum

Chandelier of knives at Hell's Kitchen

Throw back to the Art of North American Aboriginal Peoples class this summer

Kehinde Wiley - using Renaissance portraiture techniques to portray urban scenes


Christian Boltanski installation

My favourite - Minneapolis artist Tetsuya Yamada combines a version of Duchamp's rejection of craft with Brancusi's love of craft to form an army of figures that remind me of people - the openings on the porcelain tops that mimic Duchamp's urinal make me feel like something is being rejected or consumed.... craft?

Chuck Close's 'Frank' - Fun fact: I dont have the exact dimensions of this painting but believe me it is HUGE - and the security guard informed us that Chuck Close used an airbush and only 2 tablespoons of black paint to make it...


Off to the art barn now!

No comments:

Post a Comment